Skip to main content

Elective Home Education

Most parents send their child to school, but you do have the right to educate your child at home. As a parent, you must make sure your child receives a full-time education from the age of 5. See website for more information.

How do parents/carers of children age 5+, that are not in school access advice and support services if they have concerns about their child?

Home educators assume financial responsibility for their child, and the local authority may not continue providing services that your child previously received through school, such as occupational therapy, physiotherapy or speech and language therapy (SaLT).


If parents have not electively de-registered (e.g. child is excluded, ill, or unable to attend school for other reasons), the LA does have a duty to arrange provision, which can be ‘otherwise than at school’, but, under current legislation (s19).


If a parent has concerns there are a number of ways to begin self-help.  For example, the NHS offer a number of on-line 'toolkits'

Occupational Therapy Toolkit | CPFT NHS Trust


Speech and Language Therapy Toolkit | CPFT NHS Trust


The CYPF online resource also has a large number of leaflets to advise parents on a very wide range of concerns including anger, anxiety, sensory difficulties and much more


There are also lots of charities and organisations supporting families of children with SEN, and they may be able to help with learning ideas that fit your child’s needs. The British Dyslexia Association, for example, offers resources to help with handwriting. The Local Authority Elective Home Education Officer may be able to help to signpost to appropriate organisations.


There may be other ways of accessing support. Your GP may be able to arrange the therapies your child needs on the NHS. Some charities also offer support or financial assistance to help you meet your child’s needs. 


It is a good idea to get Bracknell Forest IASS involved.  They provide free, impartial information, advice and support for children/young people with special educational needs.  The contact details for them are on this page:


Often families find their child’s needs for therapy change when home educating; each child is different. If your child has a medical need then these therapies should continue but they are not arranged by the LA. If they stop because you’re home educating talk to the NHS service involved or, if you need a referral, approach your GP or child’s paediatrician.


A parent can request a statutory assessment or reassessment of their child’s needs in the same way as a child attending a school.  Making a request for an EHC needs assessment: Model letter 1 | (IPSEA) Independent Provider of Special Education Advice


Who to contact

01344 354037 / 07468 709268
Powered by Open Objects © Idox Software Ltd